“Anyone who focuses solely on the technology has not yet grasped how autonomous driving will change our society,” emphasizes Dr. Dieter Zetsche, Chairman of the Board of Management of Daimler AG and Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars.
“The car is growing beyond its role as a mere means of transport and will ultimately become a mobile living space.”
Head of Mercedes-Benz Cars
One of the most dramatic changes to how society functions is vastly under reported when it comes to autonomous vehicles. Everyone of any age and condition having access to transportation. The commercial use, from taxi service to couriers. How far off can autonomous, personal flying vehicles be?
Safety, Comfort, and Awesomness
The high-strength body of the F 015 Luxury in Motion ensures optimum safety and supreme comfort for its passengers. At the same time, the body’s shell structure provides the ideal basis for impact-protected installation of an F-CELL PLUG-IN HYBRID drive system, for the door concept that makes getting in and out especially easy, and for the communication-oriented seating featuring four lounge chairs in a face-to-face arrangement.
The electric hybrid system has a total range of 1,100 kilometres, including around 200 kilometres of battery-powered driving and around 900 kilometres on the electricity from the fuel cell. This enables the F 015 Luxury in Motion to cover distances similar to those of a comparable diesel-engined car, but purely on electric power with zero local emissions.
The F 015 Luxury in Motion communicates with its surroundings both visually and acoustically. Large LED displays at the front and rear as well as a laser projection system directed toward the front are responsible for the visual part, while the acoustic communication repertoire includes both sounds and specific spoken instructions.
Key Highlights of the Autonomous Car:
- Both manual and autonomous driving systems
- Smart Body Structure that combines carbon-fiber reinforced plastic, aluminum and high-strength steels
- Front and rear LED modules that communicate with the outside world
- Variable seating system with four rotating lounge chairs
- Open-pore walnut wood floor
- White nappa leather seats
- Six display screens that form a 360° virtual arena
- Saloon-style doors that open a full 90°A PRE-SAFE® Body Structure that inflates on impact, absorbing the energy of a collisionElectric drive system capabilities
Though this is still a concept car, the technology is at our doorstep and we can expect to see the first of these ideas available to the public within the next couple years.