In ancient Greece around 400 BC, Hippocrates, the father of modern medicine, prescribed health drinks like apple cider vinegar mixed with honey for coughs, colds and many more ills.
Today we don’t pay enough attention to how what we eat affects our health and well-being.
Here are a few health drinks that claim to have many beneficial properties.
Apple Cider Vinegar Detox
- 2 glasses of water (15-30 oz)
- 4 Tbs. Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother, the chunks of stuff floating in the jar)
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper (optional)
- 4 Tbsp. honey (raw if possible)
Dissolve cinnamon, cayenne, honey, and lemon in hot water (stir well). Add apple cider vinegar to mixture.
Consume right away for a hot tea, or cool and store in airtight jar for an iced detox beverage ready at any time.
The beverage will be rather concentrated, so drink small cups or mix in water if it is too strong for your liking. Will last for up to a week in the refrigerator.
Check out all the details here.
Makes: 4-8 cups
Lemon Ginger Detox Tea
Here’s one from nutrition coach Linda Wagner:
- 2 inch knob of ginger
- 2-3 inch piece of turmeric root or substitute 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1-2 dashes of cayenne (or you could juice 1/2 a habanero or jalapeño pepper)
- 4 lemons (3 for juicing and 1 for slicing as a garnish)
- 3 droppers vanilla stevia
- 2 quarts water
Get the full recipe and more!
Cinnamon Coconut Water Kefir
If you’re dealing with low energy, blood sugar issues, excess weight, sugar cravings, and digestive issues, coconut kefir will help you heal. This wonderful fermented beverage is rich in beneficial bacteria, enzymes, vitamins, and minerals that are crucial for digestive and immune system health.
Vegan, Vegetarian, Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 4 cups young coconut water—use 3-4 young coconuts or packaged unsweetened coconut water
- 4 Tbsp. rehydrated water kefir grains or 1 packet of kefir starter
- 1-Quart sterilized glass jar with lid
- 1 Ceylon cinnamon stick
Full recipe here.
Turmeric Juice: A Powerful Healing Beverage
Tumeric is known to be one of the most powerful healing herbs. It is great for bones and joints as it has anti-inflammatory properties. It prevents metastases from occurring in many different forms of cancer. Turmeric’s also a natural liver detoxifier and a kidney cleanser, and it speeds metabolism and aids in weight management. Plus it heals and alleviates conditions of depression, psoriasis, damaged skin, arthritis and more.
Recipe calls for
- 5-7 inches turmeric
- 5-7 tamarind
- 2 lemons
- raw honey
- mason jar(s) or other glass jar with lid
Go here for the full recipe.